So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chocolate Pork Mole

****I got this recipe from rubiesandradishes.com, but changed the chicken to pork*****.  It was delicious!




Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 spicy peppers, chopped
2 cups chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons almond butter
2 cups chicken broth (I used beef broth cause that's all I had & it turned out fine)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 chicken breasts
For serving:
Fresh cilantro
Lime wedges
Tomatoes, sliced
Cabbage, shredded
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
Directions:
  1. Place a pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion and garlic, stirring to soften for 5 minutes. Add the spicy peppers and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
  2. Carefully pour the mixture into a blender. Add the almond butter, broth, chili powder, and cinnamon. Puree the mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chocolate and stir until melted.
  4. Place the chicken breasts in a crock pot and add mixture.
  5. Cook on low for 8 hours. 5 hours into cooking, remove lid and use 2 forks to shred chicken the best you can. Do this again 1 hour before cooking time is over.
  6. Transfer the mole to a serving dish and serve with cilantro, lime, avocado, tomatoes and cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment