So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Monday, May 7, 2012

Southwestern "Rice" Bowl

You all know I like a good bowl of food.  I tried to up the ante with cauliflower yesterday and it was super delicious.  I had grilled some steak that I used for this recipe, but you can also use whatever protein you'd like on it.


Grilled chicken or steak (I used flank steak, seasoned with S&P and grilled for about 5 minutes per side, and then thinly sliced against the grain)
1 head of cauliflower
2 TBS Olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 onion, sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced into rounds (I like things spicy so I used the whole pepper, so you could add less if you desired)
8 oz can of sugar free tomato sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin
Fresh cilantro
Fresh avocado

"Rice" cauliflower by grating it or putting it through a food processor.  Place "rice" in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Microwave for about 4 minutes.
In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion, garlic and jalapeno.  Once they are soft, add the cauliflower and cook for about 5 minutes or so, stirring often.  Add the tomato sauce and spices (you can customize to your liking) and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
To serve, place the "Mexican Rice" in a bowl and top with steak, fresh cilantro and sliced avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment