So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chicken with Bacon and Fig Sauce


Fresh Black Mission figs were on sale at the market today, so I picked up their natural paring, bacon, and came up with this....

4 chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
1 tsp dried thyme (or fresh)
S&P
olive oil
6 slices uncured bacon
2 cloves garlic, minced
8-10 fresh figs, quartered
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup dry white wine
S&P to taste

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.  Season both sides of the chicken breasts with thyme, salt and pepper.  Cook about 7-10 minutes per side until done (mine always seem to take on the longer side).  Remove from pan, cover and keep warm.  In the same pan, add the bacon and cook until starting to brown.  Add garlic and figs, and saute until garlic is tender.  Add balsamic and wine and let simmer, seasoning with S&P to taste.  To serve, slice chicken thinly and spoon sauce over it.  I served mine with wilted spinach with mushroom and onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment