So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Spicy Turkey Chili/Stew


Okay, so I recognize that this does not photograph very well, but Jason has asked for it each week since I started making it, so it passed the husband test (at least in my house).  It is pretty darn spicy, so you could experiment with the amount of jalapeno (or leave it out altogether) if you don't do spicy.  We do spicy.  By the way, I think the last recipe I posted was similar to this, but this one is the clear winner in our house.

Spicy Turkey Chili/Stew
(makes a big pot)

1lb ground turkey
1lb turkey sausage, as clean as you can find, cut into rounds (I'll be honest and tell you I just used a regular old smoked turkey sausage from the regular deli section....shhhhh!)
2TBS olive oil
2 bell peppers, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
2TBS chipotle chili powder
2 TBS pumpkin pie spice
1 TBS dark cocoa powder
1 TBS ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
2 (15oz?)cans diced tomatoes (no sugar added)
2 (15oz?) cans pure pumpkin puree
3ish cups chicken stock.

Heat olive oil in a large chili pot and add onion, peppers, garlic, and jalapeno.  Saute until tender.  Place this in a separate bowl (I use a bowl that I'm going to store my chili in....no use dirtying up another dish!) and add the turkey to the pot that is now empty.  Brown.  Add all spices, pepper mixture, then diced tomatoes and pumpkin, and give it a good stir.  It's not going to look appetizing at this point, but keep on.  Add the sausage, stir again, and add chicken stock to desired consistency.  Let it simmer for a bit....I was home for a while, so I let mine go a good two hours, stirring occasionally, but I'm sure it would be fine after, say, 20 minutes if you were in a rush.
I served mine over roasted butternut squash cubes (it cut down on the spice a little), topped with chopped cilantro and avocado.


No comments:

Post a Comment