So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Friday, September 6, 2013

Chunky Monkey Muffins

Okay, so this recipe is more "treat" than Paleo, but it's still gluten and dairy free (if you use dairy free chocolate chips, such as Good Life chocolate chips--I didn't have any on hand, so I just used regular dark chocolate chips).  I got the recipe from here.  The only sub I did was to replace the butter with coconut oil.  I'm glad that I'm bringing them to a potluck tonight, because I could easily eat half of the recipe in one sitting.  Like I said, it's a treat.  :-)


Preheat oven to 350.

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour (first time using it, and it definitely makes them more "cakey" than almond flour--I found it in the same area I find the coconut or almond flours)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut crystals
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup chocolate chips, such as Good Life (dairy and soy free)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix flours and baking soda together in a bowl.  In a larger bowl, combine coconut oil, coconut crystals, bananas, vanilla and eggs.  Add flour mixture to wet ingredients.  Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.  Spoon into muffin tins lined with foil liners (or use those nifty silicone liners placed on a baking sheet!).  Bake for about 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.  Try not to eat them all in one sitting.


1 comment:

  1. BTW, my recipe made 17 muffins, but I didn't fill the liners up very much.

    ReplyDelete