So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hawaiian Bacon Burgers with Grilled Brussels Sprouts

The girls were begging for burgers and I had some nice Brussels sprouts in the fridge, so this is what I came up with.


Hawaiian Bacon Burgers
 1ish pounds of organic ground beef (makes about 4 burgers, 2 of which are for the kiddos, on a regular bun).
S&P
Garlic and Onion Powders (you could use fresh, diced up very finely, but I wanted a shortcut)
Fresh pineapple, cut into 1/4 inch rounds, brushed with olive oil--I only needed 2 rounds, the rest I cut up for dessert
Red onion, cut into rounds, brushed with olive oil
Cooked bacon
Sliced avocado
 4 Portobella mushroom caps, brushed with olive oil, and sprinkled with sea salt and pepper


Mix ground beef with spices and shape into 4 burgers (I usually put a "dent" in the middle and they don't shrink up so much.  I ground extra black pepper onto mine and sort of pressed it in--pepper corn crusted, if you will.  Grill over medium heat until done to your liking--mine took about 4 minutes a side.

While burgers are grilling, add sliced pineapple, onion and mushroom caps (I put the mushrooms on that little rack above the main one.  Turn when you turn your burgers.

To assemble, place a burger on one mushroom cap, top with pineapple, onions, bacon and avocado.  Place another mushroom cap on top.

Grilled Brussels Sprouts
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
1/4 cup diced red onion
Drizzle of olive oil
Sea salt and pepper

Place Brussels sprouts and onions on a sheet of tin foil.  Sprinkle with olive oil and S&P.  Fold up foil so that it makes a little packet.  Grill over medium heat about 8 minutes per side (flipping once).  I should have added some cooked chopped bacon to the mix.  That would have really been delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment