So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Monday, April 23, 2012

Twice Baked Butternut Squash, Paleo style

There was a recipe floating around on Pinterest (I know, big surprise!) on butternut squash re-baked in it's own shell.  I played around with the recipe a bit (no cream or breadcrumbs needed here) and this is what I came up with--it's a keeper!  It's got a sweet/spicy thing going on that is perfect.



2 butternut squash, halved and seeded
6 TBS coconut milk
Fresh ground pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 TBS almond meal

Preheat oven to 450 and place halved squash in a large pan with 1/4 inch of water on the bottom.  Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 35 minutes until tender.  Remove squash from oven, uncover and let cool until you can handle them.  Reduce oven to 425.  Use a spoon (I used a melon baller to scoop flesh out of the halves into a large bowl, leaving 1/4 inch border around 2 of the halves so that they don't collapse on you.  Discard the other 2 skins.  Add the coconut milk, S&P, chipotle powder, and cinnamon to the bowl and blend with a hand blender until smooth.  Place mixture back into the reserved squash shells and sprinkle with almond meal.  Bake for about another 20 minutes until starting to brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment