So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Paleo Larb



Our friends Amy and Greg came over for dinner a few weeks ago and they brought "larb" with them--it's a minced meat salad (don't let that throw you!) that's considered the national dish of Laos.  It was delicious--the herbs and citrus and spice mix is so complex. We gobbled it up and ever since then I've been wanting to recreate it.  Here's my go at it:

1lb ground turkey (I'm sure you could used ground beef, pork, or chicken or a combo)
1 stalk lemongrass--white part only, finely chopped (probably not a deal breaker, but I had some in the fridge and was excited to use it)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 "nub" ginger, finely chopped (probably about 2TBS)
1 red chile, finely chopped (you can take the seeds out or not, depending on your heat preference)
stalks from 1 bunch cilantro
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1-2 limes (we found we wanted a bit more than what I added)
3 TBS Red Boat fish sauce
3 TBS coconut aminos
1 TBS coconut oil
chopped cilantro
chopped mint (don't leave out--it really rounds out the flavor!)
lettuce leaves, julienned red bell pepper, carrots, and cucumber to serve

1) Chop lemongrass, garlic, ginger, chile, cilantro stalks and combine in small bowl.  Add lime zest.
2) Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  A ingredients from step 1 and cook for a minute or two, stirring often and careful not to burn.
3) Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
4) Add lime juice, fish sauce, coconut aminos and stir to combine.
5) I served ours in lettuce leaves with some julienned veggies and chopped cilantro and mint.





No comments:

Post a Comment