So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Monday, May 2, 2011

Clean(er) Ribs



Although I've been avoiding pork lately, there are sometimes when a girl just needs some ribs.  We make a pretty awesome non-Paleo version, but it uses a lot of brown sugar and soy sauce.  I found a Paleo BBQ sauce recipe online and decided to combine techniques.  Now, if I can only figure out a substitute for the Jiffy corn pudding that we used to serve with it....


Davis Ribs


1 slab ribs
Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Paprika
Chili Powder


Preheat oven to 350.  Generous season both sides of ribs with seasonings.  Wrap in heavy duty tin foil and place on baking sheet and bake for 1.5 hours  When finished, baste with BBQ sauce (recipe follows) and marinate for at least an hour.  Grill at a low heat (250-300 degrees) for 10 minutes per side.


Son of a Grok BBQ Sauce (from www.sonofgrok.com)



6oz can tomato paste (preferably organic)
1 to 1.5 cups of beef stock
3 Cloves Garlic
1 onion
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons chili powder

 Dice your onions and garlic as fine as possible. You want your BBQ sauce a little chunky but the more fine you dice these, the better the flavor will spread through the entire sauce.
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Whether you use 1 cup or 1.5 cups of beef stock will depend on how thick you want your sauce. Bring sauce to heat on stove with a low setting.
Cover and simmer. Stir frequently 
Extra can be stored in refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that Coconut Aminos is a soy-free soy sauce substitute? It doesn't taste like coconut at all and I have used it many times in place of soy sauce in recipes and it was really good. I bought mine at Whole Foods by the asian food stuffs.

    ReplyDelete