So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Salmon and Broccoli Slaw Salad

I had some leftover roasted salmon from dinner last night and wanted a change from my usual leafy salad.



1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS lime juice
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
S&P to taste
2 cups broccoli slaw
roasted salmon, hot or cold, depending on when you cook it up (to roast, place in shallow pan, season with lemon juice and salt and pepper and roast at 350 for 30 minutes)
1/2 avocado, diced

Whisk olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and salt and pepper in a bowl.  Add slaw and mix well.  Top with salmon and avocado.  Serves 1 main dish or 2 side dishes.

I would imagine that this would be really good with leftover shredded chicken as well.

2 comments:

  1. I am still trying to like avocado. How do I pick the right one? Should the be firm? Slightly soft? I have tried slightly soft ones, not super soft, just barely soft. But the texture grosses me out beyond belief. I don't know how to get past this. I am sure I would like it just fine if I could get past the texture thing. I thought about trying a firmer one, but I don't know how firm is ok and when it would be not ripe yet or something. Anyway, making salmon tonight. I always think of you when I make salmon now lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be slightly soft. Firm will not be ripe! You can totally leave the avocado out of this recipe, but I think that salmon, avocado and carrots are a pretty perfect combo!
    Have a yummy salmon dinner! Are your kids eating it too? Salmon's always a hit in this house (and it's been on sale at Kroger lately too).

    ReplyDelete