So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

So, do the kids do it too?

Digging some edamame, salmon and yes, mac n cheese
In short, no.  I don't want to take away any food group from their little growing bodies.  Sure, there are some things that they'll eat right along with us (salmon is a huge favorite in our house), but I still rely on chicken nuggets and frozen meatballs too.  I've actually contemplated how messed up this is--here I am trying to fuel my body with the highest quality food that I can while I allow all sorts of unpronounceable preservative laden things to go into theirs.  In an ideal world I'd make my own chicken tenders for them and serve that up alongside some quinoa and fresh organic broccoli, but the fact is when we're rushing to get out of the house for ballet or soccer practice, nuking up some chicken nuggets and microwaving a steam bag of veggies is about all I have left in me at the end of the day.  Sure, I try to make sure that their mac n cheese is the "whole grain" version, but I know I'm just fooling myself as I pour in the little florescent orange "cheese" packet.  However, for the most part, I know that they are well fed.  I love that my 2 year old's favorite snack is blueberries and that my (almost) 6 year old is becoming interested in the fact that "regular milk is healthier for you because chocolate milk has sugar in it" (her words).  We do fast food maybe once or twice a month.  We don't drink soda.  We keep a steady supply of string cheese, almonds and grapes on hand for snacks.  But sometimes a kid (and a Mama) just needs a Dunkin' Donut (preferably creme filled and chocolate frosted) and I'm okay with that.
A special Sunday morning Dunkin' Donut

No comments:

Post a Comment