So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

This is as close to pasta as you can get without the grains!

Spaghetti Squash
Poke a couple holes in it with a knife, put it in a pan and bake it at 375 for one hour.  When it's done, cut off the stem part, and then cut it in half, lengthwise.  Scoop out the seeds and then separate the "spaghetti" with a fork.  You could always just stop here and add a little coconut oil and S&P, and I'm sure that would be delicious too.

Marinara
EVOO
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1lb ground chicken (you could use beef, turkey, or go without)
S&P
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1TBS double concentrate tomato paste (or by that reasoning 2TBS regular tomato paste)
small handful of sun-dried tomatoes
2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (sugar free)
red pepper flakes

Saute onion and garlic in EVOO.  Add ground meat and season.  When cooked through stir in tomato paste and then add diced tomatoes.  Check seasoning and add red pepper flakes and more S&P if needed.  Let simmer for a few minutes...20, 30...whatever time you have on hand.

Serve over spaghetti squash.

2 comments:

  1. Meg, You are my hero! Someday I hope to have an entire week's menu planned and chopped - seriously! Congratulations on getting your blog up and running, I look forward to keeping up as best I can. I'm going to read about the Whole30 thing. I recently found a book at Sam's that you might like. It's "Power Foods. 150 delicicous recipes with the 38 healthiest ingredients." From the editors of whole living magazine. It's nicely photographed and has good info in it. Keep an eye out for it when you are shopping at Sam's.
    I hope your little ladies are doing well- growing like weeds, I'm sure.
    Margery Sherrill (your mom's friend in NC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss Margery! I'll look for that book the next time we're at Sam's. And yes, I think that both girls have hit another growing spurt--they've been eating me out of house and home lately--not this stuff, but the regular kid stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete