So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Saturday, April 2, 2011

My brain hurts!

Okay, so I've gotten a lot of good questions from friends about how I'm defining "clean" and honestly, it's sort of putting me into a tailspin.  I think eliminating grains, legumes, dairy and sugar has been implementable in me examining what and how I eat and beneficial in "rebooting" my system, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason why to leave them out indefinitely.  I've really enjoyed experimenting with different ways to cook things, new ways to eat vegetables, and last but not least, what it's done for my body. But I think that there's a place for whole grains, beans, and some dairy and natural sweeteners in my daily life (and of course, room for some pure sugar with treat meals).  I think that I'm going to continue eating Paleo for the next few weeks before our big Costa Rica (read: lots of time in swimsuits) vacation.  Once we get back, I'm going to look into reintroducing some stuff back into our daily diet....think of how many more recipes I can do!

I was re-reading some of the blogs on the Paleo sites and I have to say, a lot of them are really annoying!  I hope I'm not coming off as preachy as they are.  I just wanted to share some recipes!

3 comments:

  1. you are NOT preachy. like i said i subscribe to clean eating mag and some of the articles are a bit...um...militant?
    here's what i believe. try to limit prepackaged foods. i don't believe in fake. i'd rather have a tiny pat of real butter as opposed to a scoop of margarine. a spoonful of honey or raw sugar as opposed to sweet&low,splenda, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! Just one of 'dem days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not preachy at all. And I think that doing a prescribed eating plan for a set period of time is a good way to "reboot" and reprogram your taste buds and eating habits (for example, I now eat some meat - a little that I know where it comes from - but to get to *this* point, I had to give it up entirely for @6 months - and giving it up made me realize how prevalent and pervasive across my diet it was, although I didn't think I was eating that much). So, that's also why I'm thinking of doing that one I posted - I need a reboot again, not for meat, but for the convenience factor I've allowed to creep back in (the juicing is only for 21 days...but I may just scrap that and do the plan w/out the juicing part).

    ReplyDelete