So, I started this whole "clean eating" thing back in February 2011, after being really intrigued about a plan called the Whole30 . I decided to give it a go, but quickly realized that I needed to make it more adaptable to the way that our family eats and lives. I like my glass of wine at night. I don't think a piece of gum is going to sabotage me. I think that a DQ Blizzard is a good thing every once in a while. If my friend makes the most awesome jalapeno poppers you've ever had, you know I'm going to have one. But I also know that I feel pretty darn good when I'm eating quality proteins, fats, veggies, fruits and nuts, while leaving out dairy, grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts) and the big one, sugar, at least most of the time.
Here are some of the ways to do just that....

Friday, April 1, 2011

Okay, but why?

I think people get confused about why we're choosing to eat this way...and to tell you the truth, I don't have a great answer to give.  Over the last year I've been trying to educate myself a little bit more about where our food comes from and how things like feed lots are so horrific, not only to the animals that they produce, but to the environment as well.  I'm by no means an "activist"...in fact, I could probably do a lot more than I do to ensure that the next generation doesn't get screwed by what we're doing now.  It's just once you learn more about how stuff actually gets to your table, it's sort of hard to forget it.  We've sort of dabbled in vegetarianism and liked it (and I know, this is like the total opposite of that!).  We've never really kept soda or potato chips on hand.  We don't eat fast food a lot. We don't have any health problems, thank goodness.  So why go so drastic?

At first, it was to lose the couple of pounds I had put on over the holidays and just couldn't get off, regardless of the fact that I was working out probably 6 days a week (and not wimpy workouts either!).  I was looking into CrossFit and came across the Whole30 website, which is basically just a ramped up version of the Paleo diet.  Supposedly, by cutting out all grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts), dairy, sugar, and alcohol, I would "change my life in 30 days".  This left meat, chicken, seafood, vegetables, healthy fats, fruits and nuts. There's a whole bunch of science behind it, but I'll let you research that.  What spoke to me was that it was all about getting back to real, unprocessed food.  I thought I'd give it a go.

Here are some links to some of that research I'll let you go do. :-)

Whole30

The Paleo Diet

The Primal Blueprint




No comments:

Post a Comment